Should the General Assembly approve his request, Friendsville will use the funding to purchase a hexagon-shaped, 100-percent-recycled-plastic picnic table for the children’s playground area and six new trash containers. The grant will also enable town officials to resurface the tennis court, make improvements to the existing walking trail, and construct two outdoor bulletin boards for the park’s kiosk, according to Mayor Spencer Schlosnagle.
“We are very grateful and appreciative to Gov. Hogan for proposing to fully fund our request, which includes these very worthwhile projects in our community park,” he said. “We take great pride in our park, as it is very beneficial to the many people and groups around the town and the tri-state area who visit and enjoy its many outdoor activities.”
Accident requested $20,000 to make upgrades to Town Park West. Town officials also applied for the funding through the Community Parks and Playgrounds Program.
“We plan to install a basketball court in the park,” said Ruth Ann Hahn, Accident town clerk. “It will be placed where the volleyball court is currently located. The court will be approximately 36 feet by 63 feet, have two goals, and painted lines.”
According to Edwards, the governor’s proposed budget also includes funding for the following DNR state projects:
• New Germany State Park, day-use and beach improvements, $4.375 million.
• Casselman River Bridge State Park, improvements, $1.38 million for planning and construction.
• Swallow Falls State Park, water and wastewater treatment plant, $955,000 for planning and
• Mount Nebo Wildlife Management Area and Green Ridge State Forest (Allegany County),
underground tank replacements, $550,000.
• Deep Creek Lake State Park and Discovery Center, dock replacement, $150,000; automatic doors,
$40,000; deck renovation, $50,000; Lake Management Office Building roof replacement, $30,000;
siding replacement for campground shower buildings, $60,000; and parking lot and roads
resurfacing at Discovery Center, $64,000.
• Herrington Manor State Park, exterior log replacement, $150,000.
• Potomac Garrett State Forest, Snaggy Bridge repairs, $125,000.
• New Germany State Park, driveway repairs and cabin renovations, $50,000.
• Savage River State Forest, High Rock tower security fencing, $25,000.
• Big Run State Park, Monroe Run pavilion renovations, $15,000.
• Swallow Falls State Park, new roof for the Maryland Conservation Corps Building, $10,000.