All of Garrett County is considered a Historically Underutilized Business Zone (HUBZone). This certification qualifies businesses for preferential status in competition for federal government contracts. A Small Business Administration decision gives HUBZone-based businesses equal standing with minority-owned businesses.
What are the Federal contracting opportunities for HUBZone businesses?
- 3% of all federal prime contract dollars is targeted to HUBZone businesses. HUBZone contracting government-wide in FY2012 was in excess of $8 billion.
- Set-aside awards
- Sole source awards
- 10% price evaluation preference (PEP) in full and open contract competitions
- Subcontracting opportunities
What are the HUBZone eligibility requirements?
- Principal office located in a HUBZone
- At least 35% of employees must reside in a HUBZone
- Small by SBA standards for selected NAICS codes
- Ownership and control by at least 51% of U.S. citizens
What is the HUBZone application process and how long does it take?
Complete applications are finalized in about 90 days. It may take more or less time depending on the specifics of the application. The application timeline provides a more specific breakdown.
The Application Guide is a valuable tool for businesses wanting to know what the online application will require, and the Document Request Checklist will help ensure all required documentation is submitted with the application.
Businesses interested in applying for HUBZone certification may wish to view the following HUBZone Primers:
- The HUBZone Primer: Eligibility and Certification Requirements
- HUBZone Mini-Primer #1: Understanding HUBZone Designations
- HUBZone Mini-Primer #2: Principal Office and 35% Employee Residency Requirements
- HUBZone Quick Facts
- HUBZone Program Fact Sheet
- HUBZone Contracting With the Federal Government Fact Sheet
- HUBZone Frequently Asked Questions
- Understanding the HUBZone Program
- Applying for the HUBZone Program
- Maintaining the HUBZone Certification
- Understanding the Federal Marketplace
- Top 10 Lists for Contracting
- HUBZone Contractors' National Council
Contact (301) 334-1921 or email@example.com for additional information or assistance.